|Peels Hot Cocoa with Housemade Marshmallow $4.00|
We begin at Peels, in the East Village, with one of the most talented singers I know, my very dear friend, Jillette Johnson, a singer/songwriter who is currently recording her debut album. Peels is our meeting place and my favorite breakfast spot in the city right now. I find the 30-45 minute wait for Saturday brunch definitely worth it. Not only is the food delicious but there's a great vibe about the restaurant overall. It feels like everyone who is there really wants to be there. But if you don't feel like waiting, they have a take-out counter where you can indulge your cravings on the go. What makes the Hot Cocoa so great? Its multi-layered:
PEELS HOT COCOA
- Housemade marshmallow floating on the top.
- Perfectly dark, dense, and creamy.
- The taste gets deeper and darker as you get to the bottom of the cup, past the frothy whipped cream and gooey melted marshmallow, leaving a dark chocolate puddle at the finish.
- It's a different cup of Hot Chocolate with every sip.
- There's nothing like drinking Hot Chocolate with the smell of bacon and fresh baked pie in the air.
- Rating: ★★★★★
|Vosges Aztec Elixir $5.44|
To say "Hot Chocolate Date" would be an understatement. This was a Spicy Hot, Hot Chocolate, Hot Date...a triple threat! My friend Helene Traasavik, former Miss Norway, yoga guru, and model, joined me at Vosges: Haut Chocolate in Soho. It was fitting that she be there with me! Couture chocolate that lets you travel the world with every bite. We ordered the Aztec Elixir which is on the spicy side, spiked with ancho & chipotle chillies, Ceylon cinnamon, Madagascar vanilla bean, cornmeal, and dark chocolate. You can try this world cup of chocolate at home by ordering online here. Here's what you can expect:
VOSGES AZTEC ELIXIR
- Extravagant taste.
- Thick, rich, and spicy.
- Perfect to share with someone else.
- Served elegantly in a stylish, ceramic black mug that is smooth to the touch.
- Rating: ★★★★☆
Either one of these cups of chocolate are sure to satisfy. I invite you to go get your Hot Chocolate on! Any recommendations? Feel free to comment below...Buen Provecho!
Happy National Hot Chocolate Day!